Monday, April 26, 2010

A Feel-Good Car

Odometer: 3438.7
Tank Mileage: 594.3
Gallons Added: 15.721
Long-Term Average: 39.1
Short-Term Average: 39.1
Calculated Average: 37.8

I went on a bit of a road trip over the weekend. The major highway sections were into the teeth of a fairly strong wind. I was able to do well in the hills of northern Michigan. I can't get too unhappy about a tank that was largely highway driving with the cruise set to 70 for most of the distance. I still beat the highway mileage number.

A comment made over the weekend got me to thinking. The individual making the comment dismissed the car as just a "feel-good car". I guess the implication is that the only reason to get it was to feel good as there was no other justification. I wasn't sure how to respond assuming this individual was even interested in listening. I've always "felt good" about the car I was driving. This goes from the Mercury Cougar that was my first car (and really fun to drive), through the Fords and Chevy I got to drive, to the Subarus that were the first cars I've owned myself. I love to drive. I find it relaxing and a time when I can reflect on things. I've always had (in my opinion) strong reasons for each car I bought. Time has shown that each car worked very well at meeting my needs. When I stopped feeling-good about them, I tended to get another one.

As to my new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, there are many reasons to "feel good" about this car. This car can go 500 miles and still have plenty gas in the tank. I've wanted this since the 1980 Chevrolet Impala I drove with the "running on fumes" combination of 25 gals and 20 mpg. The thing that I first noticed about the Ford Fusion (and it's a little thing) is the sound the door makes when shut. I feel good about that every time I hear it. It reminds me of the 1975 Ford LTD I drove until I graduated high school. The LTD was the car that took me to my first job, that I took my first girlfriend on a date with, and that I used doing public service as an Amateur Radio operator support local Civil Defense. I can feel good about supporting a company that has survived the "Great Recession" without a government bailout. I like the display. I wish it had more gages, but I'm really happy with the amount of information available. I like the feel of the road I get and the responsiveness of the car to driver inputs. It has aggressive braking and plenty of acceleration if you need it. It is fun to drive. I can even spin the tires if I really want to, but I have to turn off the traction control first. It isn't a Mustang, but it is quite respectable for what it is. Finally, based on the normal pattern of my driving and the number of miles I put on cars, I expect to recover the cost difference in about three years (and gas stays above $2.50/gal). That is something to feel good about without getting into reduced emissions and the rest of that sustainability stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment