Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bolder Boulder Road Trip - Day 4

Miles Driven: 139.0
Average MPG: 42.5

After getting my race package, I went for a short drive to get a couple of small counties and one off the beaten path. This was successful.

During my drive, I used the "low gear" position for the transmission. The book says that this keeps the engine running to provide enhanced braking. In addition to keeping the engine on, the transmission also sets for a low "gear". This is important as the dynamic braking provided by the motor-generators goes away when the battery is full. Of course, "L" tends to enhance energy collection, so the State-of-Charge tends to the maximum anyway. I'm not sure of the trade-offs, but I would like to see more aggressive use of the electric motor and less charge collection when in "L". I would expect braking to use the regenerative mode first (like normal) before engaging the brake pads. I would also like to see some indication of when the physical system engages so I know when I am adding heat to the physical system.

On the way back down Boulder Canyon, I used the camera on my phone for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment